Allied Team Training for Parkinson's™(ATTP)
Vancouver, BC Canada Course
April 4 - 6, 2018
(scroll to end of page for application link and FAQ's)
Course Description and important information
The Allied Health Team Training for Parkinson’s Disease (ATTP) is a 3 day (Wed.-Fri.) on site course designed by the Parkinson's Foundation and the International Parkinson and Movement Disorder Society (MDS) to increase knowledge about Parkinson’s disease and build capacity for comprehensive inter professional care in the treatment of Parkinson’s disease. Prior to the course each registrant will complete three online preparatory modules, which include an overview of Parkinson’s disease, interdisciplinary care teams, and neuropsychiatric symptoms and management.
At the conclusion of this activity, you should be able to accomplish the following:
o Design, review and modify a patient/family specific
o Participate effectively as an interdisciplinary or interprofessional team member
o Identify challenges associated with Parkinson’s disease and side effects of the medication
o Discuss how to support a person with Parkinson’s disease and their care partners in
o List key characteristics of early, middle and late stage Parkinson’s disease
o Describe the unique and complementary role of each discipline in your care team
o Identify strategies for building inter professional networks and community partnerships
Learning objectives apply to all professions in the target audience.
course is intended for neurologists, physician’s assistants, nurse practitioners, nurses, physical
therapists, occupational therapists, speech language pathologists and social workers who
are interested in education about management of medications and care challenges
in Parkinson’s disease. State of the art care can make the difference between
satisfaction and despair for people with Parkinsons (PwP), caregivers and the staff providing the
care. The faculty consists of an interdisciplinary faculty of PF and MDS senior movement disorder specialists
Accreditation Statement for listed disciplines (opens in a new window)
Program Agenda (opens in a new window)
British Columbia Medical and Allied Health Professionals
Scholarship - The
Parkinson Society British Columbia are generously providing registration and travel scholarships offered exclusively to the British Columbia community (resident restrictions apply).
Travel Recommendations (air and hotel)
Arrival airport - Vancouver International Airport (YVR) is located in Richmond and is connected to downtown Vancouver via car or the Canada Line, which shuttles visitors from Waterfront Terminal in downtown Vancouver to YVR in 26 minutes. It is serviced by regional and international airlines.
Plan to arrive on the evening of April 3rd. The training begins at 8:00 am on Wednesday, April 4th.
Plan to depart on April 6th AFTER 5:00 pm. This will allow time to get to the airport after the training end time. The sessions on the last day are vital in learning how to collectively plan on bringing all of the program learning back to your specific workplace. Early departure will also affect continuing education hours and certification of completion from the Parkinson's Foundation.
Please do not make air travel plans until you've recieved an acceptance or denial letter via email. Letters are emailed within 5 business days. If you have not received acceptance/denial confirmation within 5 days, please first check your spam/junk folder and then email Denise Beran as your facility I.T. system software may have blocked the communication.
Hotel: (The training site will be at the hotel)
Executive Airport Plaza Hotel & Conference Centre
7311 Westminster Highway
Richmond, BC, Canada V6X 1A3
A room block discount rate code will be provided in your acceptance letter to attend.
Registration rates include all sessions, course materials, lunch and breaks.
MDS Members: $450 USD (per person)
MDS Non Members: $500 USD (per person)
Teams of 3 or more: $400.00 USD (per person)
Registration for ATTP Vancouver includes one year of free MDS
Associate membership for eligible non-members (those who are not already
members of the MDS – this is a $100 value).
An ATTP paper application form is available to download and print for faxing or mailing if you are unable to complete the electronic application online: ATTP Vancouver Paper Application
Please email Denise Beran or call 305-537-9928 should you have any questions.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
- When is payment due for this course? There is no payment due at the time of your application. After
you've received a letter of acceptance to attend, you must confirm your
attendance with your registration payment on the MDS confirmation/payment web page, a link which will be provided in your emailed acceptance letter. Payment may be made online via credit card.
Note: If a check payment will be mailed by you or your facility, please use the link provided in your emailed acceptance letter to download the paper payment form to provide with your check. This form may also be used if your facility is providing a single team payment whether via check or a single credit card payment. (See "How do I pay for my team" below.)
If extra time is needed due to your facility payment system, please email Nilda Toro or call 414-276-2145 to make payment arrangements with your facility's accounting department. Payment must be completed prior to attendance unless other payment arrangements have been confirmed.
- Does my team have to apply at the same time in order to receive the team rate? NO! Each person must apply individually whether you're with a team or not. There is a "yes/no"question on the application to ask if you're attending with a team or not.
- How do I pay for my team? Each applicant will receive a 4 digit code in their acceptance letter. Please download the payment paper form using the page link which will be provided your acceptance letter. You may register your team member names, their 4 digit codes and payment on the form to submit with your facility check or credit card payment.
- What if I answered that I'm attending as an individual and then our facility sends additional people to qualify for the team rate? MDS will refund the difference to any individual who paid the full price when other team members confirm their registration with payment. Please email Nilda Toro or call 414-276-2145.
- What if we pay the team rate for 3 and then 1 of our team must cancel? The rate differnence will be adjusted accordingly.
Cancellations: (please notify us immediately!)
- What if I need to cancel before payment? Once you receive an acceptance letter to attend, your seat is now reserved and will be held until we are notified by you or if your registration payment is not completed before the maximum due date. ATTP has limited seating and a waiting list is created when we reach capacity. If you must cancel, please be kind to let us know immediately so we have time to notify a professional on the waiting list who may need to make travel plans.
- What if I need to cancel after I've paid? Cancelation for a paid registration will be refunded in full until March 26th, 2018. Please allow up to 30 days to process the cancelation. Cancelations after March 26th will not be refunded and will be considered as a donation of support for the International Parkinson's Movement Disorder Society. A donation tax receipt will be provided.
- What if I have more questions? Please email Denise Beran or call 305-537-9938.
This activity has received institutional financial support from Edmond J. Safra Foundation and Parkinson's Canada
This activity is supported by an educational grant from Medtronic.